History & Tradition
The Reverend G. Ernest Lynch, rector of Trinity Episcopal Church, 1953-1978, founded St. Richard’s School in September 1960. He had entertained the idea of establishing an English-style school for some time and had a fondness for English education with its high academic expectations and the respectful demeanor of its students. In the late 50s, Fr. Lynch had visited churches across England, Scotland, and Ireland. Impressed by the quality of education he saw in the parish day schools attached to the Anglican churches he visited, Fr. Lynch returned, and with a planning committee investigated teaching staff in Episcopal schools. On September 14,1960, the first head of school, Miss Helen Bevan, of Suffolk, England, welcomed sixteen preschool and kindergarten students. Traditions were begun and still abound. You can read about them in James Fadely’s “ Brief History of St. Richard’s School, 1960-1995.”
The faculty in the first decade were brought from Great Britain to teach with the exception of the French teacher who came from France and an occasional European or American. This faculty set the standards for academic excellence based on the British Day School system. St. Richard’s, a Pre-K through 8th grade school, is proud of the rigorous nature of its instruction during the past forty-six years. The classic curriculum comprises today what the archives show were present in early years: French for all students (our students test into 3rd year high school French, and many take a second language during their freshman year); Latin for all Middle School students; divinity; language arts, science, mathematics, social studies/history; physical education/health; art; and music.